S.Africa awaits Spanish extradition bid for Rwanda general

19th September 2010, Comments 0 comments

South Africa has yet to receive a formal extradition request from Spain for former Rwandan army chief Faustin Kayumba Nyamwasa over genocide charges, the foreign ministry said Sunday.

Spain's National Court in 2008 charged Nyamwasa with genocide and crimes against humanity for his alleged role in the lead-up to and during the 1994 genocide in Rwanda in which 800,000 people were killed.

It also charged him with the murder in Rwanda of a Spanish missionary in 1994 and three Spanish aid workers three years later.

Spain's cabinet agreed Friday to seek Nyamwasa's extradition from South Africa, where he is living in exile, but the foreign ministry in Pretoria said no official request has been made yet.

"We can't comment on that until we actually see the formal request from the Spanish government," spokesman Saul Molobi said. "We haven't received it yet."

Nyamwasa fled to South Africa in February after abandoning his post as Rwanda's envoy to India.

Four months later he was shot in the stomach outside his home in an upmarket Johannesburg suburb, in an incident that has strained ties with Kigali after foreign operatives were suspected in the attack.

His wife Rosette has said she believes Rwandan President Paul Kagame was behind the attack which she has described as a politically motivated assassination attempt.

The Rwandan government has accused Nyamwasa, and former army colonel Patrick Karegeya, of masterminding grenade attacks earlier this year in the run-up to the country's presidential elections in August.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article