Rocket attack on Spain's Afghan military base

10th August 2009, Comments 0 comments

Rockets were launched on Sunday against Spain's military base in Herat, western Afghanistan, in an attack that caused no injuries.

Madrid – Rockets were launched against Spain's military base in Herat, western Afghanistan, in an attack that caused no injuries, the Spanish defence ministry said on Monday.

"The rockets were launched (late on Sunday) from a location north of the base but did not affect Spanish military personnel or equipment," it said in a statement.

Spain currently has around 1,230 soldiers in the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan, including a 450-strong contingent sent to bolster the detachment ahead of presidential elections on 20 August.

Last month Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero said that some or all of these 450 soldiers could remain in the country after the election to maintain security.

Spain has maintained a contingent in Afghanistan since 2002, part of what is now the roughly 64,500-strong, 42-nation International Security Assistance Force supporting the beleaguered Afghan government.

AFP / Expatica

0 Comments To This Article