Residents told to stay home due to toxic cloud
26 July 2005, MADRID – Residents near Santander were told on Tuesday to stay in their homes to avoid being poisoned by a toxic cloud of hydrochloric acid.
26 July 2005
MADRID – Residents near Santander were told on Tuesday to stay in their homes to avoid being poisoned by a toxic cloud of hydrochloric acid.
At 7.30am that morning, a lorry on the A-67 between Torrelavega and Santander overturned carrying 24 tons of the corrosive acid.
No one was injured in the accident, but the road between kilometre 7 and 11 had to be closed in both directions while a massive clear-up operation swung into action.
Firefighters from Torrelavega and Santander were joined by the private fire service of chemical firm Solvay, the company which owned the lorry which crashed.
Experts from the regional and national governments' civil protection units also headed to kilometre 9.900 on the A-67, near Boo de Piélagos, where the accident had happened.
Local police in Piélagos, Bezana and Camargo immediately began to warn their communities to stay indoors and seal their windows and doors using wet towels or clothes.
The authorities said there was no danger of an explosion, since hydrochloric acid is not inflammable, but they said it could cause irritation.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news