Probe into 11 March bombing could be reopened

4th August 2005, Comments 0 comments

4 August 2005, MADRID – The head of the parliamentary commission which investigated the Madrid bombings has said inquiries could reopen after revelations in the national newspaper El Mundo.

4 August 2005

MADRID – The head of the parliamentary commission which investigated the Madrid bombings has said inquiries could reopen after revelations in the national newspaper El Mundo.

The parliamentary probe closed in June, with critics accusing it of having been plagued with party political bickering. Political parties, except the PP, voted to close it after approving a number of anti-terrorist initiatives.

On Thursday, El Mundo alleged that the Guardia Civil in Asturias had handed in a 12-page document to the judge investigating the 11 March attacks, claiming one of the witnesses who gave evidence to the parliamentary inquiry had lied.

According to the paper, the police told Judge Juan del Olmo that Colonel Felix Hernando, the head of the Central Operations Unit of the Guardia Civil, had lied when he appeared before parliament.

Hernando was questioned about allegations that the police had been warned there would be an attack on Madrid.

The parliamentary commission's president Paulino Rivero said on Thursday that if finally, the judicial inquiry under way showed evidence of lying, the parliamentary commission could be reopened or a new one set up.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

0 Comments To This Article