NATO arrests six over killings in Afghanistan: Spain

28th September 2010, Comments 0 comments

NATO-led forces have arrested six people in Afghanistan over the killing of two Spanish policemen and an interpreter last month, Spain's government said Tuesday.

NATO-led international forces working with the Afghan authorities carried out the operation in the Mokur district of Afghanistan's southern Ghazni province, a Defence Ministry spokesman said.

"Six people linked to the killing of two Civil Guards and the translator have been arrested," the spokesman said.

The six were part of the Taliban-led insurgency and the most active band in the area, he said.

Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero had already announced September 15 the arrests of another four Afghans over the August 25 killings.

An Afghan working as their driver killed the two officers of Spain's Civil Guard police force and their Iranian-born Spanish interpreter during a training session at the Spanish camp in Badghis, northwestern Afghanistan.

Spanish troops shot dead the assailant following the attack, which was claimed by Taliban insurgents.

Spain has 1,555 troops serving in the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan, according to the ISAF website, part of a 141,000-strong force deployed in Afghanistan to battle a Taliban-led insurgency nearing the end of its ninth year.

The Spanish contingent runs a US-led civil-military operation known as a Provincial Reconstruction Team.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article