More women drug addicts

2nd February 2005, Comments 0 comments

2 February 2005, MADRID - More women are becoming dependent on drugs in Spain, according to a survey.

2 February 2005

MADRID - More women are becoming dependent on drugs in Spain, according to a survey.

The Union of Associations for the Treatment of Drug-Dependency (UNAD) said 64 percent of addicts were men, while the remaining 36 percent were women.

But according to Luciano Poyato Roca, president of UNAD, there were "progressively" more women becoming addicts.

The study found the typical profile of a drug addict in Spain was a 32-year-old man, who was unwell, who took various types of drugs, who had limited education and was unemployed.

Roca said: "Each time there are more women who are seeking treatment to free them from drug-dependency.

"We are not saying that there are already more addicts, but that programmes are being designed to suit their needs more."

In the past ten years, the number of female addicts has risen from 18 percent to 36 of the drug-dependent population.

In contrast, the percentage of male addicts has fallen from 89 percent to 64.

The report, compiled using studies of 41,000 patients, found as the population became older in general, so the average age of addicts also got older.

Sixty-seven percent of users were older than 26, while 13.2 percent were older than 44.

But at the other end of the age scale, last year 3.8 percent of patients were younger than 16, while in 2002, this figure was only 1.9 percent.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

 

0 Comments To This Article