Man shoots four dead in northeast Spain, arrested

15th December 2010, Comments 0 comments

A 57-year-old man shot dead four people in northeastern Spain on Wednesday, gunning down a father and son in a bar and two staff in a bank before being taken alive, police and media said.

Armed with a rifle or shotgun, according to various reports, he first shot a father and son in a bar in Olot before driving his car to a bank in town where he killed two staff, a man and a woman.

He reportedly surrendered to police.

"At about 9am, Catalan police officers were alerted to the death of two people in an establishment," the Catalan police said in a statement.

"Half an hour later they received information that a man responding to the same physical description entered a banking establishment and killed two employees," they said.

Soon after, "the man suspected of being responsible for the four deaths was arrested by local police."

Police identified him only as "Pedro P.P", aged 57 and of Spanish nationality.

The suspect often walked around town in the evening dressed as a sheriff with a pistol and fake badge, according to a witness quoted by Spanish agency Europa Press.

The news agency quoted the unnamed witness, who claimed to have known the man since he was a child, as saying the suspect was "strange" but previously not violent.

The first two victims were reportedly builders, a 62-year-old man and his 35-year-old son.

They were eating breakfast in a bar called La Cuina de l'Anna when the killer walked in and shot each once with a shotgun, agency and newspaper reports said.

After leaving the bar, he reportedly drove to a branch of the bank Caja de Ahorros del Mediterraneo and shot the two employees.

The man's work situation was unclear.

He surrendered to police after the killings, according to the online edition of the newspaper El Mundo, which said his employment situation was not yet clear.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article