Man killed at fireworks blast
7 September 2004, VALENCIA – A man was killed in an accidental blast at a fireworks display, authorities said Tuesday.
7 September 2004
VALENCIA – A man was killed in an accidental blast at a fireworks display, authorities said Tuesday.
The 45-year-old man, named only as J.R.B.B, was killed at the display in the town of Vilamarxant, near Valencia, in north-east Spain.
He was part of the team setting up the display called 'The Portuguese' and had been handling explosives when they went off.
The blast, which happened at 9.10am Tuesday, set off other explosions, leaving a large column of smoke.
A team of 11 firefighters brought the explosions under control.
The mayor of Vilamarxant, Vicent Betoret, said the cause of the blast was still not known.
He ruled out hot weather as a cause after heavy rains across Spain in recent days.
The company which ran the display had complied with safety regulations and had been inspected recently by a team from the Guardia Civil.
Betoret said the company had never had any accidents with explosives.
Two men were killed Monday in a blast at a special effects company in Madrid.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news