Man dies as salmonella chicken epidemic spreads
3 August 2005, MADRID – A man in Valencia has died as a result of the salmonella epidemic in chickens which has now infected a total of 921 people throughout Spain.
3 August 2005
MADRID – A man in Valencia has died as a result of the salmonella epidemic in chickens which has now infected a total of 921 people throughout Spain.
The manager of Valencia's health agency, Manuel Cervera, said on Wednesday that the death of a 90-year-old man was due to salmonella poisoning from eating a pre-cooked chicken.
However, Cervera said until testing had finished health authorities wouldn't be able to say for sure whether the salmonella was due to a Sada chicken.
It is understood that the relatives of the elderly man also fell ill from salmonella poisoning.
By Wednesday afternoon, the National Network for Epidemiological Control had reported 921 salmonella cases to the department of health.
The Spanish regions, for their part, continue to report a growing number of cases.
In the vast majority, the salmonella poisoning has been minor, with many patients not needing to be hospitalised.
The latest regions to be hit by the epidemic are Extremadura, where five cases were recorded, and Navarra where 22 possible salmonella infections are being analysed.
The worst-hit region, Murcia, which had registered 113 cases on Tuesday, reported the total stood at 140 on Wednesday, although health authorities said many still needed to be confirmed. Only 10 people are still in hospital due to salmonella.
On Tuesday, SADA, which is owned by Dutch multinational Nutreco, said the salmonella was due to an infected pipe which distributed the sauce for the packaged chicken products branded Pollo Asado SADA and Pimpollo. Testing traced the bacteria to a pipe at the firm's factory in Lominchar in Toledo.
The factory's production will remain closed until the exact causes for the infection are known. Once the causes are identified, the authorities could move to close part or the whole factory or take other punitive action.
SADA has recalled all its Pollo Asada and Pimpollo products and has started a helpline for any concerned consumers (900 200 901).
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news