Man arrested for links to Islamic terrorism

24th January 2007, Comments 0 comments

24 January 2007, BARCELONA — A Moroccan man was arrested on Wednesday for alleged links to an Islamic terrorist organisation.

24 January 2007

BARCELONA — A Moroccan man was arrested on Wednesday for alleged links to an Islamic terrorist organisation.

Abdellatif Nekkavi alleged sent cash to help the 'yihad' in Iraq.

The operation, which is ongoing, has involved raids on a number of addresses in the Badalona area of Barcelona.

It is the latest arrest in an operation against alleged sympathisers who are sending money and false documenation to help the insurgency against the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

The arrest was ordered by the Audiencia Nacional, which usually deals with terrorist cases. 

Meanwhile, the court on Tuesday set 15 February as the date for the start of the trial of those charged in the 2004 Madrid train bombings that killed 191 people and wounded more than 1,750 others.

Court sources said that the tribunal had also agreed to have experts perform a new study on the explosives used in the nearly simultaneous 11 March attacks, the results of which must be delivered before the start of the trial.

The National Court said that it would call as witnesses three members of the Basque terrorist organization ETA - Henri Parot, Gorka Vidal and Izkur Badillo, the latter two of whom were apprehended with an explosives-packed van 11 days before the train massacre in the Spanish capital.

Court sources said that Parot had been called to testify because a note with his name on it turned up in the cell of Islamist Abdelkrim Bensmail, who is not being placed on trial for the train bombings.

The testimony of Vidal and Badillo, who were arrested on 29 February 2004, was requested for the defence of Jamal Zougam, who is alleged to have been one of the masterminds behind the Madrid attacks.

Participating in the new study of the explosives evidence will be experts from the police and the Civil Guard, as well as other specialists proposed by the prosecution and the defence.

There are 29 people going on trial for the train attacks. The accused are implicated to differing degrees in placing about a dozen backpack bombs that were detonated in four commuter trains filled with passengers during the morning rush hour.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news


0 Comments To This Article