Madrid bombing suspect arrested in Paris raids

30th March 2005, Comments 0 comments

30 March 2005, PARIS-An Egyptian national has been detained in the Paris suburbs in connection with last year's deadly train bombings in Madrid, police sources said.

30 March 2005

PARIS-An Egyptian national has been detained in the Paris suburbs in connection with last year's deadly train bombings in Madrid, police sources said.

The suspect, identified as 33-year-old Ahmed E., was placed in preventive detention and was to be interrogated by French counterespionage agents about his ties with a prime suspect in the attacks.

That suspect -- Rabei Osman Sayed Ahmed, nicknamed "Mohamed the Egyptian" - was arrested in Italy last year and later extradited to Spain.

Sources close to the French probe said Ahmed E. might have given his countryman a place to stay outside Paris, and investigators are trying to determine the exact nature of the ties between the two men.

More than 20 suspected Islamic extremists, most of them Moroccans, are in jail facing trial for the Madrid bombings on March 11, 2004, which killed 191 people.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

0 Comments To This Article