Madrid bombers 'part of Moroccan terror group'
30 March 2004, MADRID - The bombers behind the 11 March massacre in Madrid could be involved with the Armed Islamic Group of Morocco terrorist group, Spain's Interior Minister said Tuesday.
30 March 2004
MADRID - The bombers behind the 11 March massacre in Madrid could be involved with the Armed Islamic Group of Morocco terrorist group, Spain's Interior Minister said Tuesday.
Angel Acebes, the minister from the outgoing government, revealed the bombers were thought to be part of this group as he told a press conference in Madrid about the latest progress of the investigation.
Acebes said so far 23 people had been arrested, including two Indians, two Spaniards and four Syrians.
All the others were from Morocco, even though some were naturalised Spaniards.
He said that those behind the attack could also be allied to other terrorist groups, but he did not name other organisations.
Acebes added that two of the Syrians were arrested in connection with a house at the remote village of Morata de Tajuña, about 20km south-west of Madrid, where the terrorists were believed to have made the bombs used in the 11 March attack.
His comments came after two more terrorist suspects were arrested in connection with the investigation.
The latest suspects included a Spaniard, who is thought to be the brother-in-law of a former miner, José Emilio Suárez, who is accused of selling explosives to the terrorists.
The 26-year-old, who is married and works as a bouncer at night-clubs in Aviles in Asturias, reportedly has a criminal past.
He has served two prison sentences for drug-related offences.
But, according to reports in El Pais newspaper Tuesdsay, while in jail the new suspect could have passed on information to Moroccan prisoners about how to obtain explosives.
The other suspect was said to be of Arabic origin.
Suárez was accused of helping to steal more than 100kg of Goma 2 ECO explosives from a mine where he had worked in Asturias in the north of Spain.
Meanwhile, a Spanish judge charged two more suspects Monday with the alleged involvement in the Madrid train bombings.
A Syrian was accused of involvement in the killings and of belonging to a terrorist group, and a Moroccan of collaborating with a terrorist group.
Judge Juan del Olmo at the high court in the Spanish capital released three other men without charge.
Ten bombs exploded on four trains at three stations in the rush hour on 11 March, killing at least 191 people.
A court source told EFE news agency that one of the Syrian detainees had been identified by one person wounded in the attacks and another who escaped unhurt.
The Syrian had acknowledged knowing all the other accused, the source added.
The accusations follow a report in El Pais newspaper report that traffic police stopped and fined several Madrid bombers travelling in a car packed with explosives days before the attacks.
The newspaper said a number of those behind the attacks were thought to have been in the car when they were fined for an unspecified driving offence.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news