Madrid 'bomber' due to be extradited in October
3 August 2004, MADRID - The alleged ringleader of the terrorists who carried out the 11 March train bombings in Madrid is expected to be extradited to Spain from Italy in October, Justice Minister Juan Fernando López Aguilar said on Tuesday.
3 August 2004
MADRID - The alleged ringleader of the terrorists who carried out the 11 March train bombings in Madrid is expected to be extradited to Spain from Italy in October, Justice Minister Juan Fernando López Aguilar said on Tuesday.
The final decision is dependent on the Italian High Court hearing an appeal by Rabei Osman el Sayed, known as Mohammed the Egyptian, against his arrest in Milan in June.
The Milan Appeal Court had agreed the extradition last Friday, only for it to be thwarted by the lawyers lodging a last minute appeal.
Praising the efforts of his Italian counterpart, Roberto Castelli, López Aguilar said a process which would normally take around six or seven months should be completed in less than two.
He said the Spanish government had applied for the extradition of Rabei Osman el Sayed two days after his arrest, and that there had been "fluid communication" with the Italian authorities to stress "the importance of this affair for Spain".
López-Aguilar said the appeal had been lodged on the grounds that the tapping of el Sayed's phone was 'illegal'. This should be the last 'delay' before extradition, he added.
"As soon as the (Italian) High Court makes a pronouncement, the extradition order will be signed the same day".
Meanwhile, the last of the 2,062 people injured in the train bombings has been released from hospital, the Madrid regional health authority said on Tuesday.
Since the bombings, which claimed 191 lives, nearly 70,000 health professionals had been involved in treating those affected. Beyond the physically injured, a further 2,700 people had been treated for mental traumas.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news