Lodge where 18 died failed routine checks

9th February 2005, Comments 0 comments

9 February 2005, TODOLELLA - The mountain lodge, where 18 birthday party revellers lost their lives after accidentally inhaling carbon monoxide gas, had not passed routine safety checks.

9 February 2005

TODOLELLA - The mountain lodge, where 18 birthday party revellers lost their lives after accidentally inhaling carbon monoxide gas, had not passed routine safety checks.

Tourist authorities said the lodge, owned by the village council in Todolella where the tragedy happened last weekend, had failed to pass routine inspections.

Their licence to rent the lodge to tourists had ceased in June last year after an inspection.

The village council has not been blamed for the tragedy which happened after an outside heater used on pig farms was taken inside to warm up the lodge in Todolella, a tiny village near Castellon in eastern Spain.

Because it was used in a confined place, the carbon monoxide could not escape and killed the sleeping partygoers.

Horrified locals arrived at the lodge to find out why they had had no response to telephone calls, only to find the lifeless bodies of 18 people.

The man whose birthday was being celebrated survived because he slept in another house with his partner.

Crown Prince Felipe led a group of distinguished politicians and hundreds of mourners at funeral services on Monday.

In 1998, the owners of the lodge were first granted the licence to operate.

The place was enlarged in 2001 to accommodate 46 people, but later failed routine checks.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

 

 

0 Comments To This Article