Judge to decide on Yak-42 exhumations

6th October 2004, Comments 0 comments

6 October 2004, MADRID – A High Court judge is to consider if the bodies of 30 of the soldiers involved in Spain's worst peacetime military air crash should be exhumed, legal sources said Wednesday.

6 October 2004

MADRID – A High Court judge is to consider if the bodies of 30 of the soldiers involved in Spain's worst peacetime military air crash should be exhumed, legal sources said Wednesday.

Judge Teresa Palacios was presented with a formal request from the government for permission to carry out the exhumation on the soldiers involved in the Yak-42 scandal.

Families of those who died have asked for their bodies to be exhumed in order that their real identities can be established, after a mix-up which led to the sacking of two generals and an apology from the government.

In May last year, 62 soldiers returning to Spain from a peacekeeping mission in Afghanistan were killed when the ageing Russian-built Yak-42 aircraft in which they were travelling crashed in Turkey. All the soldiers plus the aircrew were killed.

But the tragedy descended into a scandal when the Spanish government later admitted they had wrongly identified the bodies of the dead soldiers when they were hastily brought back home for state funerals.

It emerged that DNA tests later proved 30 soldiers whose bodies were analysed by Spanish medical teams in rushed autopsies were wrongly identified.

But the 32 soldiers whose remains were analysed by Turkish medics were correctly identified.

The then defence secretary Federico Trillo has apologised to parliament but refused to stand down as a deputy.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

 


 

0 Comments To This Article