Judge dismisses legal action over skyscraper fire

31st January 2006, Comments 0 comments

31 January 2006, MADRID – A judge has ruled out legal action against anyone over the fire which destroyed the 31-storey skyscraper The Windsor building in Madrid.

31 January 2006

MADRID – A judge has ruled out legal action against anyone over the fire which destroyed the 31-storey skyscraper The Windsor building in Madrid.

The office block was an iconic building in the modern part of the Spanish capital until it burnt down spectacularly on 13 February, last year.

The delicate job of demolishing the remaining, unstable structure of the tower has cost EUR 17.5 million. Since February, speculation has been rife about the cause of the fire.

Early suggestions of arson seem to have been discounted by police investigations. A woman employee for the firm Deloitte admitted to having smoked a cigarette on the twenty-first floor before leaving the building, but said she made sure it was extinguished.

However, last Friday the owners of the building, the family Reyzabal, argued that the skyscraper burnt "as a consequence of two negligent acts: that of the person who started the fire by smoking in an office and the security guards responsible for looking after the safety of the building".

They insisted: "That the fire started in office 9 on the twenty-first floor is show by so many signs that it's difficult to doubt it. There were only two people in the Windsor when the fire alarm sounded: one on the ninth floor and another on the twenty-first floor."

The judge, though, on Tuesday said the investigation into the fire should be closed, concluding that it was an accident.

The Reyzabal family has not stated whether it intends to take out a civil suit over the matter.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

0 Comments To This Article