Jose Tomas makes comeback to bullring in Spain

12th May 2011, Comments 0 comments

Acclaimed Spanish bullfighter Jose Tomas will make his come-back to the bullring in Spain on July 23 more than a year after a bloody goring in Mexico, his agent said Thursday.

"Today we are happy to announce he will re-appear July 23 in the bullfighting festival in Valencia," his agent Salvador Boix told a news conference in Madrid.

"It is a day of great joy after so much work and suffering," said Boix, thanking everyone who had given encouragement to the 35-year-old matador during his long convalescence.

Although the programme for Valencia has yet to be confirmed, Tomas would return to the ring in a bullfight with bulls from the Nunez de Cuvilla ranch, said specialist bullfighting online site Mundotoro.

In September he will be able to fight at Barcelona's Monumental ring in what may be the last La Merced festival before a bullfighting ban in the Catalonia region comes into force next year.

Tomas was seriously gored in a bullfight April 24 last year in Aguasclientes, Mexico.

A 470-kilo (1,000-pound) bull named Navegante, his second bull of the evening, thrust its horn into the muscle of Tomas's left thigh, puncturing the artery and causing the bullfighter to lose about half of his blood.

© 2011 AFP

0 Comments To This Article