Israel rejects new Spanish Middle East peace plan

17th November 2006, Comments 0 comments

17 November 2006, GIRONA — Israel dismissed on Friday a Middle East peace plan put forward by Spain, France and Italy.

17 November 2006

GIRONA — Israel dismissed on Friday a Middle East peace plan put forward by Spain, France and Italy.

An Israeli official said parts of the plan were being considered but it was not being taken seriously because neither Jerusalem nor the US had been consulted.

Spain, France and Italy jointly launched an initiative seeking solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero outlined the effort after meeting with French President Jacques Chirac in Girona on Thursday.

He said the initiative would include an international observer mission in Gaza and a multi-party peace conference, among other things.

At a joint press conference with Chirac, Zapatero said the plan will be put before the European Council, the executive branch of the European Union, next month.

It calls for an immediate halt to violence, formation of a Palestinian national unity government and an exchange of prisoners with Israel.

Chirac said the three nations promoting the plan share sensibilities and interests and "the same morality".

For his part, Zapatero said the three countries "share the same vision and the same concerns" about the Middle East.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

0 Comments To This Article