Investigation into police 'threats'

12th July 2004, Comments 0 comments

12 July 2004, MADRID — The Attorney General has ordered an investigation Monday into claims that one of the suspects for the Madrid bombings was threatened by police.

12 July 2004

MADRID — The Attorney General has ordered an investigation Monday into claims that one of the suspects for the Madrid bombings was threatened by police.

Rafá Zohuier, who is currently in jail awaiting trial, was allegedly threatened by his former police handlers who warned him not to disclose anything about the sale of explosives used in the bomb attacks.

The Spanish daily El Mundo reported Monday that Zouhier claimed he had been threatened by three officers, who had used him as a police informer before the terrorist attacks on 11 March.

Cándido Conde-Pumpido, the Attorney General, said Monday he had asked another judge to conduct an investigation "to see if there was anything in claims of manipulation or threats" by police.

El Mundo published a letter Monday written by Zouhier from jail in which he claimed he came under pressure from members of the intelligence unit, the Central Operations Unit.

The suspected terrorist wrote: "The victims have the right to know if I collaborated with a terrorist group or with the police."

But the Secretary of State for Security, Antonio Camacho, said Monday that Zouhier had not been allowed to receive visits from police.

Zouhier was said by the newspaper to be angry that the authorities had denied he had received visits from police and labelled him a liar.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

0 Comments To This Article