International terror cell planned Madrid bombings

9th March 2006, Comments 0 comments

9 March 2006, MADRID — The judge leading the investigation into the Madrid bombings has said the attacks were carried out by a local cell linked to a international terrorist network.

9 March 2006

MADRID — The judge leading the investigation into the Madrid bombings has said the attacks were carried out by a local cell linked to a international terrorist network.

Judge Juan del Olmo said the cell of Islamic fanatics which planted the bombs had links stretching through France, Belgium, Italy, Morocco and to Iraq.

The judge's claims come in documents issued with a judicial order to detain nine suspects for up to two more years without trial.

They show an extensive terrorist apparatus which conceived, planned and carried out the attacks which killed 191 people and left 1,500 injured.

On Saturday Spain will mark the second anniversary of its worst peacetime terrorist atrocity.

On Friday, the London Philharmonic Orchestra is to mark the occasion with a special concert in Madrid which will also remember the victims of the London bombings in the summer in which 56 people died.

So far 116 people have been charged in connection with the Madrid attacks.

Del Olmo said within a month indictments into about 30 people will be issued.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news
 

0 Comments To This Article