General accused of war crimes pleads not guilty

9th December 2005, Comments 0 comments

12 December 2005, MADRID — Croatian General Ante Gotovina appeared before the War Crimes Tribunal in The Hague to face charges relating alleged atrocities in the former Yugoslavia.

12 December 2005

MADRID —  Croatian General Ante Gotovina appeared before the War Crimes Tribunal in The Hague to face charges relating alleged atrocities in the former Yugoslavia.

Gotovina pleaded not guilty to a series of charges relating to alleged war crimes committed against Serb civilians during the conflict in 1995.

Gotovina was arrested in the Canary Islands on Wednesday after years as a fugitive.

He was detained at a hotel on Tenerife, one of Spain's Canary Islands off the northwest coast of Africa. Authorities said he was carrying forged identity documents.

The general was flown from the islands to Madrid and appeared before Felix Degayon, a magistrate of Spain's National Court.

He was flown to the The Hague on Saturday to appear before the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY).

Gotovina, considered a hero of Croatian independence by most of his compatriots, was wanted for crimes committed against ethnic Serbs at the end of the 1991-1995 Serbo-Croatian war.

One of the tribunal's most-wanted fugitives, he had been on the run since 2001, when the war-crimes charges were filed against him.

Spanish police had been searching for the general for months in the archipelago, officials said.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

0 Comments To This Article