First passenger tells bombing trial of journey

13th March 2007, Comments 0 comments

13 March 2007, MADRID – The first passenger told a court on Tuesday of the day when Islamic terrorists allegedly bombed rush hour trains in Madrid.

13 March 2007

MADRID – The first passenger told a court on Tuesday of the day when Islamic terrorists allegedly bombed rush hour trains in Madrid.

Witness A-27, whose identity is not being revealed, told the Madrid bombing trial how they identified Jamal Zougam, one of the accused.

They said they had “no doubt” it was him they saw at the El Pozo station.

But in an apparent contradiction, the witness originally said they believed they had been travelling in the lower deck of the train.

Yet they told the court they sat on the upper deck on the day of the attacks.

The bombs were located on the upper decks and the witness would probably have been killed.

Twenty-nine people are on trial accused of playing varying roles in the  attacks which killed 191 people and left more than 1,800 people injured when ten bombs were placed on rush hour trains in March 2004.

The court heard the man caught the train from Alcala de Henares outside Madrid on 11 March 2004. 

The witness said they rang the police on the night of the 11 March to try to help the investigation.

They said they sat next to a ‘Gypsy-looking man’ who had a sports bag which was blue in colour.

He said the man put the bag underneath the seat.

He said when he reached another station, the other passenger got off but left the bag there.

The prosecution allege the bag contained one of the bombs planted by a group of Islamic radicals on trial.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news  

0 Comments To This Article