Egyptian 'played vital role in Madrid bombings'
9 December 2004, MADRID- Rabei Ousmane Sayed Ahmed, remanded in custody in Spain after his transfer from Italy to Spain, played a significant role in the Madrid train bombings, Interior Minister Jose Antonio Alonso said.
9 December 2004
MADRID- Rabei Ousmane Sayed Ahmed, remanded in custody in Spain after his transfer from Italy to Spain, played a significant role in the Madrid train bombings, Interior Minister Jose Antonio Alonso said.
"According to information at our disposal his participation in the 11 March attacks was important," Alonso told a news conference.
Ahmed, alias "Mohammed the Egyptian," appeared before a Spanish judge late Tuesday after he was flown to the Spanish capital from Italy and was Wednesday sent to a jail on the outskirts of the city, where he is being allowed visitors but is being kept isolated from other prisoners.
The Italian authorities acceded to a Spanish request made last Friday that Ahmed be temporarily handed over for questioning concerning the blasts which killed 191 people and injured some 1,900 in Spain's worst ever such attack.
Italian authorities seized the suspect on 8 June in the northern city of Milan after Del Olmo issued a warrant for his arrest.
Spain wants to try Ahmed on charges of multiple homicide and possession of explosives.
Following his arrival at Madrid's Barajas international airport, Ahmed was transferred to the high court where Del Olmo read him the charges of direct involvement in the Madrid bombings and belonging to a terrorist organisation.
The coordinated attacks on four Madrid commuter trains have been blamed on Osama bin Laden's Al-Qaeda network and seen as a revenge attack by Islamic extremists for Spain having backed the US-led intervention in Iraq.
In total, 19 suspects, most of them Moroccans, are being held on suspicion of involvement in the bombings.
Spain's interior ministry said Thursday that police had detained two further suspects -- a Syrian and an Egyptian -- who face questioning.
According to Alonso, the Syrian, Adman Waki, is a key suspect.
Last month, the Spanish supreme court sentenced a teenager implicated in the attacks to six years in youth detention after he pleaded guilty to handling explosives.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news