Editor wins breathing space on 11-3 court order
2 August 2005, MADRID – The newspaper editor who has decided to face prison rather than reveal his sources has won a breather, thanks to Spain's long summer holidays.
2 August 2005
MADRID – The newspaper editor who has decided to face prison rather than reveal his sources has won a breather, thanks to Spain's long summer holidays.
The editor-in-chief of El Mundo Pedro J Ramirez was on Thursday night ordered to hand over documentation about the 11 March bombing investigations by 12pm on Friday – or face the consequences.
Judge Juan del Olmo told him to give up documents, CDs or DVDs, stating he had to investigate whether the security of court protected witnesses had been breached.
He said disobeying a judicial authority under article 556 of the Penal Code could be punished by between six months to a year in prison.
Ramirez refused, invoking his right to protect the sources of his information, laid down in article 20 of the Spanish constitution.
On Tuesday, it was revealed that Olmo passed a decision on Ramirez's refusal onto a substitution judge while he is on holiday.
And the substitution judge, Pedro Lopez Jimenez, is yet to look at the case. Normally, substitution judges only tackle urgent cases during the summer.
Court sources told EFE Jimenez would probably take a look at the Ramirez case on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, El Mundo continues to publish further details of the legal investigations into the 11 March bombings. The biggest revelation it has made so far is the claim that one of the wives of the suspects warned police that terrorists planned to attack Madrid.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news