ETA terrorist De Juana Chaos to return to jail
6 June 2007, MADRID - Spain's most notorious ETA killer was returned to jail from hospital where he had been recovering after staging a hunger strike.
6 June 2007
MADRID - Spain's most notorious ETA killer was returned to jail from hospital where he had been recovering after staging a hunger strike.
Ignacio de Juana Chaos, a former member of ETA's 'Madrid commando' who was convicted of killing 25 people, was being held in hospital after refusing to eat in protest at a jail term for 18 months for writing two articles.
In the wake of ETA's declaration on Tuesday it will resume attacks, authorities said he will return to jail for the remainder of his sentence.
It had been expected he would be released on house arrest from hospital.
Among De Juana Chaos's victims were 12 Guardia Civil officers who were killed in a single bomb attack in 1986 in Madrid.
His fate has been crucial in the deteriorating peace process which led to ETA's resumption of a terrorist campaign.
The government in a good-will gesture, allowed him to leave hospital as it appeared he would die.
De Juana Chaos was jailed for a total of 2,995 years in 1987 for his part in up to 20 attacks and 25 murders.
It was the highest jail term ever imposed in Spain.
His sentence was reduced by 20 days for each year after he enrolled in an educational course.
A law in Spain states no-one can serve more than 30 years and with a 12-year remission for going on the course, he will be entitled to be released next month.
But his release has prompted outrage from the Association of the Victims of Terrorism who said De Juana Chaos had not even served a year for each of his victims.
In 1998, after the murder of a council official in Seville by ETA, he wrote from jail: "I love to see the twisted faces of the relatives at the funerals. Here in prison, their tears are our smiles."
The car bomb attack in 1986 killed 12 police officers in the plaza de la Republica Dominicana de Madrid.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news