ETA suspect 'planned a car bomb attack soon'
11 July 2007, MADRID - An suspected member of Basque separatist group ETA seized by police had plans to blow up a public building, the Interior Minister said Wednesday.
11 July 2007
MADRID - An suspected member of Basque separatist group ETA seized by police had plans to blow up a public building, the Interior Minister said Wednesday.
Speaking at a press conference, Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba said the suspect, Aritz Arginzoniz Zubiarre, detained by police Tuesday at a bus station in the coastal city of Santander, had plans to make a terror attack using a car bomb.
"He was going to strike against a public building in the next few day, presumably in a car park," said Perez Rubalcaba.
Arginzoniz Zubiarre, who the ministry say was in possession of a pistol, a timer and false identity documents when he was arrested,had drawn attention to himself because of a backpack he was carrying. When officers moved in to identify him, he told them he was a member of ETA.
"ETA is going to keep on trying to attack but we are going to keep on trying to make sure they don't succeed," said Perez Rubalcaba.
Press reports, citing unnamed police investigators, said Arginzoniz Zubiarre was waiting for the arrival of explosives and a car at the time of his arrest.
Newspaper El Pais said on its Web site the suspect had details of at least two potential targets in his possession at the time of his arrest, one a courthouse in Santander and another the ferry linking the port city with Portsmouth in Britain.
Newspaper El Mundo said Arginzoniz Zubiarre may have been planning suspected attacks with his girlfriend, named as Saioa Sanchez Iturregi. El Mundo said police were looking for Sanchez Iturregi, citing unnamed police investigators.
Last Wednesday, Rubalcaba informed that ETA intended to cause casualties in a bomb attack it had planned for the end of last week. The attack was thwarted when authorities in France intercepted a van packed with explosives.
Rubalcaba said then the group was planning to stage the attack sometime during Spain's state of the nation parliamentary debate which was held last week. The location and target of the planned bombing were unknown, he said.
ETA has killed more than 800 people since 1968 in its campaign for an independent Basque state.
[Copyright AP with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news