ETA ready to carry out ‘high profile’ attacks again

10th April 2007, Comments 0 comments

10 April 2007, BRUSSELS – A report by Europol released on Tuesday says ETA has reconstructed its ability to high profile launch attacks.

10 April 2007

BRUSSELS – A report by Europol released on Tuesday says ETA has reconstructed its ability to high profile launch attacks.

The Basque terrorist organisation “has reconstructed its ability to launch attacks against high profile objectives”, said the report on terrorism in Europe.

The report raises the concern ETA might be poised to attack the Americas Cup in Valencia or summertime tourist targets.

Europol, the continent’s police agency, said three months after its ‘permanent ceasefire’ in March last year, ETA started to build up its reserves in order to be ready to launch a high number of attacks.

The report mentioned 144 terrorist attacks carried out by ETA in France and Spain in 2006.

ETA claimed responsibility for 11 in Spain and four in France.

Most of the attacks in Spain were street attacks carried out by young followers acting on the orders of the group.

Europol said ETA had only claimed two major attacks, including the Madrid bomb attack in December, in which two died, 36 were injured and EUR 30 million worth of damage was caused.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

0 Comments To This Article