ETA opens new front in talks, turning its guns on Paris

14th June 2006, Comments 0 comments

14 June 2006, BILBAO — ETA opened a new line in the peace process by urging France to become involved in negotiations.

14 June 2006

BILBAO — ETA opened a new line in the peace process by urging France to become involved in negotiations.

In its latest statement, published on the website of the Basque daily Gara, it also said it is determined to pursue the peace process "until the end".

The statement said the Basque terrorist group hoped the response to its permanent ceasefire would be fitting.

ETA announced a permanent end to its armed struggle in March. Before, it had only announced "indefinite" ceasefires.

It raised hopes that the group's 38-year-old campaign of violence, which has claimed 817 lives, was over.

The statement, released on Wednesday, said the Basque people's struggle with France "had been hidden for years" and Paris had "censured" the armed campaign in order that it would not be resolved.

It said many French people do not know the manner in which France "imposes" its rule on the Basque people. 

But it added the "silence of the French state cannot do away with the conflict".

"While France does not recognise the Basque Country, the fight for our rights and the conflict will continue," the statement added.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

0 Comments To This Article