ETA car-bomb attack
9 February 2005, MADRID - At least 42 people were slightly injured in a car bomb attack claimed by armed Basque separatists that targeted a conference centre northeast of Madrid, police said.
9 February 2005
MADRID - At least 42 people were slightly injured in a car bomb attack claimed by armed Basque separatists that targeted a conference centre northeast of Madrid, police said.
An anonymous caller claiming to represent the Basque separatist group ETA alerted the Basque newspaper Gara 30 minutes before the blast, which occurred at 9.35am, police said.
Emergency services were at the scene.
King Juan Carlos had been due to open the ARCO contemporary art fair at the conference centre later on Wednesday in the presence of Mexican President Vicente Fox.
Police said at least 20-30 kilogrammes of explosive were used in the bomb.
Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero condemned the blast, saying "there is no place in society for terrorists."
"I say to the ETA terrorists and those who back them that there is no place for them in society," Zapatero told reporters at a joint press conference with Polish Prime Minister Marek Balka during a visit to Poland.
"The future of the Basque country will be built despite them and against them," Zapatero added.
ETA has been blamed for the deaths of more than 800 people in its more than three-decade campaign for an independent Basque homeland straddling the Pyrenees between France and Spain.
The organisation's last attack was on 30 January, when a blast in a hotel on Spain's Costa Blanca left one person slightly injured.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news