Death toll of immigrants on Melilla border rises
4 July 2006, MELILLA — The death toll of illegal immigrants who tried to break into Spain's north African enclave of Melilla rose to three on Tuesday.
4 July 2006
MELILLA — The death toll of illegal immigrants who tried to break into Spain's north African enclave of Melilla rose to three on Tuesday.
It was not known if the men had been shot by police trying to repel the assault on the barriers between Melilla and Morocco or if they had died from falling from a wall.
The dead men were all injured as they tried to scale a six-metre high wall.
The incidents happened at 6am on Monday in the frontier area of Farhana.
According to the Spanish authorities, between 60 and 100 illegal immigrants tried to storm the barricades.
But a non-governmental aid organisation said it was "impossible" so many had tried to force their way through.
José Palazón, of the Prodein association, said there were not as many sub-Saharan immigrants hiding in woods around the frontier with Melilla.
In this part of the border, there are three barbed-wired fences.
Last year, at least five immigrants died during mass charges of the fences.
Spain reinforced the barriers and put more police in the area.
Immigrants then tried to reach Spain - a key hub to enter Europe - by sailing in small kayacs from Western Africa to the Canary Islands.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news