Court hears of man's 'second sex attack'
9 December 2003, BARCELONA - A man was accused of sexually assaulting a doctor nine years after he tried to rape another woman in the same hospital, a court heard Tuesday.
9 December 2003
BARCELONA - A man was accused of sexually assaulting a doctor nine years after he tried to rape another woman in the same hospital, a court heard Tuesday.
The man, who was not named, allegedly went into a changing room in Bellvitge Hospital in Barcelona in December last year.
He asked a doctor, who was starting her working day, to hand over her money.
At this point, the court heard, it appeared as if he was carrying out a robbery.
But then he forced the woman to get into a shower cubicle.
The doctor tried to fight him off and escape.
But the attacker punched her in the face, leaving her with bruises.
The woman tried to fight him off again but fell to the floor, where she was assaulted and forced to perform a sex act.
The court in Barcelona heard that in 1993, the same man was jailed for eight years after being convicted of trying to carry out a similar attack in the same hospital.
The prosecutor told the court if the man was convicted, he would ask the judge to jail the accused for at least 13 years.
The man has claimed that the allegations are a police conspiracy against him and he denies the charge.
However, the prosecutor said that there was DNA evidence against the man as well as pictures from security cameras, which showed him going into the changing rooms.
A lawyer for the victim has asked the court to jail the man for 15 years and force him to pay her EUR 30,000 in compensation.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
subject: Spanish news