Controversial documents arrive back in Catalonia
31 January 2006, MADRID – The controversial 'Salamanca papers' which were taken from Catalonia during Franco's regime were on Tuesday returned to their original home.
31 January 2006
MADRID – The controversial 'Salamanca papers' which were taken from Catalonia during Franco's regime were on Tuesday returned to their original home.
The archive of more than 500 boxes of documents on the Spanish Civil War has spent 66 years in Salamanca, since the end of the war in 1939.
Attempts have been made to return the historical documents ever since the 1980s, however the issue has often been turned into a political football between the nationalists, the socialists and the conservatives, and between the regional governments of Castila y Leon and Catalonia.
Catalonia's conservative PP originally asked for them, backed by the group's head Manuel Fraga, but when the current socialist government passed a law to hand them back to Catalonia, some right-wing members of the PP objected.
The regional government of Castila y Leon tried to stop the documents from leaving Salamanca by appealing to the court and last summer some 300,000 demonstrators marched through the streets of the city in protest against any move.
But finally, at 8.30am on Tuesday, the papers arrived at the National Catalan Archive (ANC) in Sant Cugar del Valles in Barcelona.
They were transported in trucks from Madrid, where they had been kept until the legal dispute with Salamanca had been settled.
Catalonia's culture minister Caterina Mieras said she was pleased "justice had been done" and said the documents would be put on public display in an exhibition which would tour Catalonia "as soon as possible". The focus would be on "showing what happens when there is a civil war", she added.
She said she didn't know if the showing of the documents could be organised this week because invitations would need to be sent out for the exhibition launch.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news