Child trapped under rubble after gas explosion

6th February 2006, Comments 0 comments

6 February 2006, PALMA — A British couple and a child have been injured in a gas explosion in Palma de Mallorca, authorities said.

6 February 2006

PALMA — A British couple and a child have been injured in a gas explosion in Palma de Mallorca, authorities said.

The child is said to be seriously injured but the couple suffered only light injuries.

The explosion happened at about 9am on Monday in Palma, on the island of Mallorca.

Almost the entire house was destroyed in the blast.

The child, whose relationship with the couple has not been established, was trapped in the debris until he could be pulled to safety by fire fighters.

He was taken to the Valle de Hebrón hospital in Barcelona, by air ambulance to be treated for burns.

The British couple are being treated in the Hospital Son Dureta in Palma.

The identities of the three people have not been disclosed.

Sources from the local council in Alcudia, a district of Palma, said it appeared the explosion had been caused by a faulty gas bottle.

It seems the pipe connecting the gas bottle to the mains was in need of repair and may have been leaking.

Faulty gas bottles, which are commonly used in Spain in homes where there is no central heating, caused 24 deaths last year.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

0 Comments To This Article