Bombing suspect denies links to Al Qaeda or ETA

19th February 2007, Comments 0 comments

19 February 2007, MADRID — Jamal Zougam told a court on Monday he was "not an enemy of the country where he ate and lived".

19 February 2007

MADRID — Jamal Zougam told a court on Monday he was "not an enemy of the country where he ate and lived".

One of the alleged 'material authors' of the Madrid train bombings, Zougam continued answering questions from his own laywer.

Zougam, who owned a phone shop which was linked to one of the train bombs which failed to go off on 11 March 2004, faces 38,654 years in jail if found guilty.

He denied having any links to Al Qaeda or the Basque terrorist organisation ETA.

Zougam is the fourth defendant to testify to the trial of the alleged train bombers which started last week.

In total, 29 people are accused of playing a role in the attacks by Islamist extremists which killed 191 people and left over 1,800 injured.

Once Zougam's tesitimony is over, the court will hear from eight people who allegedly provided the finance and logistical support for the bombings.

In this group are: Mouhannad Almallah Dabas, Fouad El Morabit El Amghar, Othman El Gnaoui, Rachid Aglif, Abdelilah El Fadual El Akila, Mohamed Bouharrat, Saed El Harrak and Mohamed Larbi Ben Sellam.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

0 Comments To This Article