Beckham denies affair claims
5 April 2004, MADRID - David Beckham denied newspaper claims Monday that he had an affair with a former personal assistant.
5 April 2004
MADRID - David Beckham denied newspaper claims Monday that he had an affair with a former personal assistant.
The Real Madrid player issued a statement insisting he was happily married to wife Victoria, a former Spice Girl.
Beckham's statement followed a story in Britain's News of the World which claimed he had an affair with Rebecca Loos, who worked with him after his arrival in Madrid last year.
She was pictured with Beckham at a night club enjoying a drink, sparking rumours that they were having a relationship.
At the time, the footballer denied the claims.
Loos, the daughter of a Dutch diplomat, lives in Madrid and was said to be well-known among the capital's elite.
After the claims in the newspaper Sunday, Beckham, 28, was understood to have been given time off by Real Madrid to be with his family, who left Britain for a pre-planned holiday in Switzerland.
The footballer's family are alleged to have clashed with paparazzi at Heathrow Airport in London as they left for a holiday.
Victoria Beckham, 29, her parents, brother and two sons Brooklyn and Romeo were at the airport as they left for an Easter break Sunday.
It is not yet known whether the couple will seek legal action against the News of the World.
In a statement, released through his agent, Beckham said: "During the past few months I have become accustomed to reading more and more ludicrous stories about my private life.
"What appeared this morning is just one further example.
"The simple truth is that I am very happily married, have a wonderful wife and two very special kids.
"There is nothing that any third party can do to change these facts."
A spokeswoman for the News of the World insisted the paper's story was true.
The Beckhams released a statement in September denying claims their marriage was in trouble.
Following Victoria Beckham's departure on holiday with her family from Heathrow Airport, police have confirmed they are investigating an alleged assault.
A Scotland Yard spokesman in London said: "We have received an allegation of assault following an altercation at Heathrow Airport around 3pm Sunday. Inquiries continue."
Subject: Spanish news