Battered cruise ship finally in safe harbour

15th February 2005, Comments 0 comments

15 February 2005, TOULON- A cruise ship carrying around 750 people, mostly Spaniards, docked at the Italian island of Sardinia after suffering a battering and a temporary breakdown during a major Mediterranean storm.

15 February 2005

TOULON- A cruise ship carrying around 750 people, mostly Spaniards, docked at the Italian island of Sardinia after suffering a battering and a temporary breakdown during a major Mediterranean storm.

Several people aboard the Bahamas-registered Grand Voyager, which suffered a propulsion failure during heavy seas and gale-force winds, were injured and are being looked after by Italian authorities, they said.

Some of them had suffered broken bones.

Earlier, ships and aircraft from France, Spain and Britain were deployed to help the ocean liner, which was on a seven-day Mediterranean cruise organised by Spanish tour operator Iberojet.

Force 11 winds of 100 kilometres (60 miles) an hour and waves as high as 14 metres (46 feet) battered the vessel on Monday, raising fears for its safety.

A British gas tanker, the Gimi, and three French military aircraft escorted the Grand Voyager to the Sardinian port of Cagliari.

The gas tanker also berthed there, the port officials said.

The exact number of people aboard the ship was unclear.

Iberojet put the number aboard at 790, with 477 passengers and 313 crew.

The British company V. Ships, however, said there were 480 passengers and 296 crew on board. Most of them were Spanish nationals.

The Voyager had sailed from Tunisia on Sunday and had been due to dock in the Spanish city of Barcelona on Monday before continuing on the cruise.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

0 Comments To This Article