Batasuna leader fails to answer uprising charges
13 March 2006, MADRID — Arnaldo Otegi, spokesman of the banned Basque separatist party Batasuna, has said he is too unwell to answer a court summons for allegedly calling for a violent uprising in the province last week.
13 March 2006
MADRID — Arnaldo Otegi, spokesman of the banned Basque separatist party Batasuna, has said he is too unwell to answer a court summons for allegedly calling for a violent uprising in the province last week.
Batasuna is the political wing of the Basque terrorist organisation ETA which last Thursday claimed it had planted four bombs in the region.
One went off and two others failed to explode. There were no injuries.
But gangs of rioters attacked police in a number of towns and set fire to rubbish bins in the streets.
Batasuna had called a 'national strike' in protest at the death in prison of two ETA prisoners.
They claimed the government had caused the deaths.
In Spain many ETA prisoners are held a long way from the Basque Country, something which Basque nationalists claim adds to the punishment.
Otegi, who was summonsed to appear in court in Madrid, who was accused of provoking the demonstrations, sent a fax through his lawyer saying he was suffering with bronchitis and could not attend the hearing on Monday.
Legal authorities have asked a court doctor to carry out a check on Otegi to make sure he is really suffering from the condition.
Otegi is also accused of breaching earlier bail conditions imposed in May last year.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news