Basque police find another 100kg bomb ready to use
4 January 2007, SAN SEBASTIAN — Police in the Basque Country on Thursday found another bomb with 100kg of explosives ready for use.
4 January 2007
SAN SEBASTIAN — Police in the Basque Country on Thursday found another bomb with 100kg of explosives ready for use.
It appeared it was another device made by ETA.
Earlier, Batasuna, the banned political wing ETA, expressed its 'profound sorrow' for the death of an Ecuadorian man in the Madrid airport bombing but did not condemn the attack.
In a statement issued on Thursday, Batasuna said it was 'profoundly sorry for the loss of a human life', but failed to mention ETA.
The group said it showed the need to carry on trying to find a solution to the Bsaque conflict.
Earlier, rescue teams took away the body of Carlos Alonso Palate before Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero visited the site.
The Spanish premier earlier met the relatives of Ecuadorian immigrants Diego Armando Estacio and Palate, the body of the latter of whom was found Wednesday amid the collapsed ruins of the bombed-out parking garage at the Barajas airport here.
The structure was destroyed last weekend by a car bomb planted by Basque separatists.
Zapatero went to the hotel near the airport where Palate's relatives were staying - along with family members of Estacio, who is missing and feared to have been killed in the attack - to meet with them.
At the meeting with Palate's relatives, the premier was accompanied by psychologists who are attending to relatives of the victims and by several top officials.
In remarks to journalists after meeting separately for a total of some two-and-a-half hours with relatives of the two Ecuadorians, Zapatero said that the people who committed the bombing "will answer to justice," adding that "justice will be done, complete justice for this atrocious crime".
The premier said he had expressed his "deepest condolences" to the relatives of the two men, and he emphasized that he met with them to inform them that "justice will be done".
Zapatero's meeting with Estacio's relatives - just as his earlier meeting with Palate's family - lasted about an hour, although afterwards the prime minister spoke privately with the young man's mother, at her request.
Officials in the prime minister's office said that upon learning that fire fighters had found Palate's body in the ruins of the Terminal 4 parking garage, Zapatero decided to move up the visit he had scheduled for Thursday to meet with the victims' relatives.
Meanwhile, the main opposition Popular Party (PP) on Wednesday expressed its sorrow over Palate's death, along with its support and solidarity with his relatives and friends.
The chairman of the conservative PP, Mariano Rajoy, met at Barajas on Wednesday morning with the relatives of the 34-year-old Palate and with the family members of the 19-year-old Estacio to convey to them his sympathy and affection.
Last Saturday, the radical Basque separatist group ETA - which has killed more than 800 people in its decades-old campaign to create an independent Basque nation from parts of northern Spain and southwestern France - detonated a van packed with explosives inside the parking garage at Barajas' Terminal 4.
Since then, teams have been searching for the two men.
Palate's family said he had travelled from the Mediterranean city of Valencia to accompany a friend who was picking up some people arriving at the Madrid airport.
A bachelor from the Ecuadorian region of Tungurahua, he had arrived in Spain five years ago and was working in Valencia in the construction industry.
Fire fighters and police said it would be "practically impossible" to find the two Ecuadorians alive.
With the discovery of Palate's body, the Ecuadorian citizen has become the first fatality in an ETA attack in over three years, while Saturday's bombing was the first terrorist action mounted by the group since announcing a cease-fire last March.
Winston Estacio, Diego Armando's father, said Wednesday that the family's greatest wish is "to find him, however he is, as God wanted him".
He said that upon seeing the site of the explosion the family felt "very horrible," adding that they had decided to accept the Spanish government's offer to go there every morning because they feel "more at peace" that way.
The concerned father said that he would rather be near the wreckage than in the hotel where they are staying because he thinks his son "could be alive and needing something".
Winston said the "exasperating" passing of the days was very difficult for Diego's family members, who are scattered across Spain, Ecuador and Italy.
"We never expected this. We knew what ETA was, but I never thought that this would happen to my son," said Diego's father.
[Copyright EFE with Expatica]
Subject: Spanish news