Banned Basque separtists admit arrests 'hit hard'

15th October 2007, Comments 0 comments

15 October 2007, MADRID -(AFP) - The banned separatist Basque party Batasuna admitted that the arrest and detention of many of its leaders last week had "hit us hard" but insisted the movement would not be silenced.

15 October 2007

MADRID -(AFP) - The banned separatist Basque party Batasuna admitted that the arrest and detention of many of its leaders last week had "hit us hard" but insisted the movement would not be silenced.

The decision by Spain's top anti-terrorist judge to detain 17 Batasuna leaders on October 7 "hit us hard, and hurt us", the political wing of armed group ETA said in a statement on the website of Basque newspaper Gara.

But "this will not deter the independent-minded left", which will "respond and continue its efforts with more political initiative", said Batasuna, which was banned in 2003 for refusing to condemn violence and cut its links to ETA.

It said the French and Spanish governments could ban their party and jail its leaders "but their problem in the end is with the (Basque) people, a people who form a nation and who have decided to organise their own future".

Pernando Barrena, the most senior Batasuna official still at liberty, warned Monday of a "new cycle of violence" in Spain after the detentions.

ETA, listed as a terrorist organisation by the European Union and the United States, is blamed for the deaths of 819 people during 39 years of fighting for its cause. On Tuesday an attack near Bilbao seriously hurt a bodyguard.

[Copyright Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

 


0 Comments To This Article