Banned Basque party Batasuna to stage march

25th August 2005, Comments 0 comments

25 August 2005, BILBAO — The banned pro-ETA political party Batasuna says it will stage a protest march in Bilbao as regional authorities say they will not take action to stop the demonstration going ahead.

25 August 2005

BILBAO — The banned pro-ETA political party Batasuna says it will stage a protest march in Bilbao as regional authorities say they will not take action to stop the demonstration going ahead.

A march by the political wing of the Basque separatist terrorist organisation ended in violent battles with security forces in San Sebastian on 14 August.

The march, planned for Friday in Bilbao, will be staged by a group of activists from the party which was banned last year.

Batasuna has put up posters in Bilbao calling for Basques to join the march.

Javier Balza, spokesman for the Basque regional government, said no action was to be taken against the Batasuna activists "at this moment".

Balza said there was no reason to ban the march.

However, María San Gil, president of the conservative opposition Popular Party in the Basque Country, condemned the march.

She claimed that a "pact" existed between the regional government and Batasuna not to ban the march.

[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

0 Comments To This Article