Baby son of first Spanish swine flu victim dies
The premature baby died because medical staff made a terrible mistake of feeding the infant intravenously and not from the A(H1N1) virus which killed his mother earlier in June.Madrid – A medical blunder on Monday led to the death of a baby born prematurely to a Moroccan woman, who in June became the first victim of swine flu in Spain, said a senior hospital official.
Medical staff had made the "terrible medical mistake" of feeding the infant intravenously said the director of Madrid's Gregorio Maranon hospital, Antonio Barba.
Premature babies need to be fed with a tube inserted through the nose.
"The hospital assumes all responsibility," he told reporters, adding the baby boy had not been infected with the A(H1N1) virus.
The infant was delivered 29 June at the hospital via Caesarean section as his 28-week-pregnant mother's condition worsened. She died the following day.
The woman's family said at the time that they planned to sue the hospital for having initially failed to diagnose her disease.
On Thursday, a 41-year-old man became the second person to die from the virus on Thursday at a hospital in the Canary Islands.
There are more than 1,000 confirmed cases of swine flu in Spain, according to the health ministry.
World Health Organisation officials said Monday all nations would need access to vaccines as the virus had become unstoppable, as Britain, the Philippines and Thailand all reported fresh deaths.
AFP / Expatica