Attorney general promisesto convict Madrid bombers

14th September 2004, Comments 0 comments

14 September 2004, MADRID - Spain's Attorney-General Cándido Conde-Pumpido promised Tuesday prosecutors would do all they could to convict those behind the Madrid terrorist atrocity in which 191 people were killed.

14 September 2004

MADRID - Spain's Attorney-General Cándido Conde-Pumpido promised Tuesday prosecutors would do all they could to convict those behind the Madrid terrorist atrocity in which 191 people were killed.

Conde-Pumpido added that prosecutors would do all they could to "make amends for the suffering of the victims".

The Attorney General made these comments as he delivered his annual report.

He said Spain "could not permit itself to be caught unaware by international organised crime" and the new threat of Islamic terrorism.

"The lessons that we are learning from the judicial and parliamentary investigation into the Madrid terrorist attacks need to serve so we will never allow this horror to be repeated," he added

Meanwhile, Conde-Pumpido saidthe number of cases of domestic violence rose by more than a fifth last year.

Complaints of attacks increased by 21 percent between 2002 and 2003.

The actual number of complaints increased from 11,117 to 13,528.

Cándido Conde-Pumpido, said he believed the rise in the number of cases of domestic violence was due to changes introduced to the law in August last year, making it easier for alleged victims to report threats of attacks.

Domestic violence is an important political issue which the new Socialist government has promised to tackle with a draft bill which will crackdown on aggressors and will introduce specialised teams to deal with the problem.


[Copyright EFE with Expatica]

Subject: Spanish news

0 Comments To This Article