Arrested ETA chief was set to launch another attack

21st April 2009, Comments 0 comments

The recently-arrested suspected military operations chief was ready to provide a van with explosives to an ETA unit, says Spain’s interior minister.

LONDON – ETA's suspected military operations chief, arrested Saturday in France, was ready to provide a van full of explosives to a unit for use in a bomb attack, Spain's interior minister said Monday.

During a visit to London, Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba said the Basque separatist organisation had been poised to launch an attack at the investiture of the next Basque regional government.

Jurdan Martitegi is third top ETA leader to be arrested in the past six months.

He is believed to have replaced Aitzol Iriondo, who was arrested in France on 8 December, as head of ETA's military operations. Iriondo had himself replaced Miguel de Garikoitz Aspiazu Rubina, who was arrested in France on 17 November.

"The documents seized ... lead us to believe that he was going to provide a van with explosives to an ETA unit," he said at a press conference after the suspect's arrest in Perpignan, southern France.

"Everything suggests that Martitegi wanted to hand over this van full of explosives to this unit and that ETA ... was going to use it on the occasion of the investiture of the next Basque regional government."

Earlier Monday, Secretary of State for Security Antonio Camacho told Spanish radio that investigators were looking into whether the suspects arrested at the weekend might have been planning an attack on the Basque regional government.

Martitegi was arrested alongside two other suspected members of ETA.

AFP / Expatica

0 Comments To This Article