About 30 injured in Spanish car bombing

29th July 2009, Comments 0 comments

An alleged ETA attack destroyed a building’s facade and left some 30 people with minor injuries.

Burgos – A car bomb exploded early Wednesday near a civil guards barracks in Burgos in northern Spain, leaving some 30 people with minor injuries and causing heavy material damage, officials and media reports said.

National radio said the blast occurred around 4:00 am (0200 GMT) and destroyed the facade of the building. It caused light injuries to about 30 people and a makeshift hospital had been set up nearby.

The interior ministry was not immediately available for confirmation.

The radio network blamed the Basque separatist organisation ETA for the attack, citing the local prefect who said there had been no warning call. Past attacks by ETA have always been accompanied by a warning call so as to allow authorities in the past to evacuate the area targeted.

ETA has frequently targeted the civil guard in its 41-year campaign to carve a Basque homeland out of northern Spain and southwestern France.

The last ETA bombing took place in early July when a bomb exploded in front of the office of the Basque Socialist party.

AFP / Expatica

0 Comments To This Article