Three steps to a NIE in Madrid
NIEs are required for almost everything in Spain, but how do you get one? Lilian Hermans of Quilantro relocation explains how to get your Spanish NIE.
A NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjero) is required for almost everything in Spain, and applying for a NIE should be one of your top priorities when you arrive in Madrid as a newcomer. But what is a NIE and how do you get one?
You financial freedom in numbers
A NIE is a type of fiscal number for EU citizens who conduct financial activities in Spain. Without a NIE it is not possible to buy a home in Spain, to open a bank account, to obtain a loan, to apply for social security (seguridad social) or to (find) work via an employment agency.
Children also need a NIE in order to, amongst others, apply for social security. Spaniards have a NIF (Número de Identidad Fiscal), but EU citizens can apply for a NIE relatively easy if you follow these steps:
How to apply for a NIE in Madrid in three steps
Step 1: collect and bring all of the following documents:
- The form EX16 form, filled out and signed. (You can find this form onwww.mir.es under 'información sobre trámites', 'extranjeros', 'modelos de solicitud', 'EX16'.) You can also pick up this form at the location where you will have your appointment (see step 3 below)
- An original, unexpired passport and photocopies of its pages.
- The form, called 'impresa 790'. You need to take this form to the bank and pay a fee of EUR 10. The form includes an overview of banks where you can pay. You can pick up this form at the location where you will have your appointment;
- For children: The original birth certificate (partida de nacimiento) and a formally translated copy thereof.
Step 2: Call the general number
Call the general number at the Ministry of Internal Affairs for the application of the NIE in Madrid: 902 56 57 01. Make an appointment, ask where the appointment will take place and which documents you need to take with you.
Note: everything is done in Spanish.
Step 3: Your appointment
Make sure to go to your appointment, and expect to wait a while. The locations in Madrid where the appointment for the NIE are usually:
- For families and students: Plaza de Campillo del Mundo Nuevo 3 (metro Puerta de
- For other EU citizens: Avenida del Padre Piquer 18 (metro Campamento).
- If you live on the westside of Madrid, you may also have an appointment at: Camino Huertas 36, Pozuelo. Tel. 91 799 04 82.
If all documents are approved, you will receive your NIE at the same time. Safeguard this document well. You will also be automatically registered in the Register for European Union Citizens (Certificado de Registro como Residente Comunitario). You have to renew your NIE every five years.
Please remember that procedures, locations and necessary documentation change from time to time. Make sure to remain informed and updated!
Lilian Hermans / Quilantro / Expatica
Comment here on the article, or if you have a suggestion to improve this article, please click here.