Two Germans feared kidnapped in Iraq

12th February 2007, Comments 0 comments

12 February 2007, Berlin/Brussels (dpa) - German officials are investigating what appears to be the abduction of two Germans in Iraq, Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said on Monday. "A violent kidnapping," could not be ruled out, Steinmeier said before the start of a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Brussels. The two Germans were believed have been seized in Baghdad last week. Steinmeier said the Foreign Ministry set up a crisis team last Tuesday to deal with the matter. "We hope that everything

12 February 2007

Berlin/Brussels (dpa) - German officials are investigating what appears to be the abduction of two Germans in Iraq, Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said on Monday.

"A violent kidnapping," could not be ruled out, Steinmeier said before the start of a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Brussels.

The two Germans were believed have been seized in Baghdad last week.

Steinmeier said the Foreign Ministry set up a crisis team last Tuesday to deal with the matter.

"We hope that everything works out well and we are doing everything in or power to ensure that the two Germans are returned to their families unharmed," the foreign minister said.

The newspaper Berliner Morgenpost had earlier quoted unidentified security sources as saying the two were seized in the Iraqi capital several days ago.

The German embassy in Baghdad imposed a news blackout, Germany's ZDF television channel reported.

Three other Germans kidnapped in Iraq in the past 15 months have all been released unharmed.

Engineers Rene Braeunlich and Thomas Nitzschke were freed last May after more than three months in captivity. Archaeologist Susanne Osthoff was released in December 2005 after spending three weeks in the hands of her captors.

DPA

Subject: German news

0 Comments To This Article