Turkish court refuses to release teenager on bail
28 September 2007, Antalya (dpa) - A German teenager charged with sexually assaulting a 13-year-old English girl was on Friday again ordered to remain in custody after a court in Antalya adjourned the rape trial until October 26.
28 September 2007
Antalya (dpa) - A German teenager charged with sexually assaulting a 13-year-old English girl was on Friday again ordered to remain in custody after a court in Antalya adjourned the rape trial until October 26.
Lawyers for Marco Weiss, 17, told reporters that the court was waiting for British police to forward a statement given by the girl.
Weiss, from Uelzen in northern Germany, was arrested on April 11 after the parents of Charlotte M. from Manchester complained to prosecutors that she had been sexually assaulted while on holiday in the Mediterranean resort of Antalya.
Omer Aycan, a lawyer representing the English girl told reporters that in her statement given to the British police Charlotte M. stood by her original claim that she had been raped.
In interviews with both the Turkish and German press, Weiss said he had physical contact with the girl, and that she had consented to sex but denied they had actually had intercourse. Weiss also claimed that the girl said she was 15.
The case has proved to be a mini-diplomatic crisis between Turkey and Germany with Turkish officials outraged at the German media's portrayal of the conditions at the prison where Weiss has been held and also at German politicians for trying to put pressure on the Turkish government.
Friday's session was closed to the public and journalists due to Weiss being a minor. The trial was adjourned until October 26 with the judge ordering that Weiss remain in prison until that date.
Subject: German news