Teenager charged over German school firebomb attack

23rd September 2009, Comments 0 comments

The suspect, whose name has not been released and who only awoke from a coma Monday, did not respond when served with the arrest warrant.

Berlin -- An 18-year-old who went on the rampage at his school last week in Germany, lobbing Molotov cocktails and wounding 10 people, was charged Tuesday with attempted murdered, authorities said.

"The arrest warrant on charges of attempted murder and grievous bodily harm against the accused was presented in the presence of his court-appointed defence lawyer," the prosecutor's office in the southern town of Ansbach near Nuremberg said.

The suspect, whose name has not been released and who only awoke from a coma Monday, did not respond when served with the arrest warrant.

Police say he burst into his secondary school early Thursday armed with firebombs, knives and an axe, almost six months to the day after a 17-year-old massacred 15 people in and near the southwestern town of Winnenden.

A teacher and nine pupils were injured, two of them seriously. The attacker was also seriously wounded after being shot by police and spent several days in a coma.

Fellow pupils described the perpetrator, who has no criminal record, as a "loner".

AFP/Expatica

0 Comments To This Article