Swedish royals take on German gossip mags

7th March 2005, Comments 0 comments

7 March 2005, STOCKHOLM - The Swedish royal family have decided to sue German media companies as part of efforts to stop inaccurate reports, the palace said on Monday. Media lawyer Matthias Prinz, who has previously been retained by the royals, would be asked to prepare suits demanding damages, palace spokeswoman Ann-Christine Jernberg said, adding "apologies were insufficient". If any sums were awarded, the money would be used for charity, Jernberg said. Prinz has reviewed what the gossip magazines have p

7 March 2005

STOCKHOLM - The Swedish royal family have decided to sue German media companies as part of efforts to stop inaccurate reports, the palace said on Monday.

Media lawyer Matthias Prinz, who has previously been retained by the royals, would be asked to prepare suits demanding damages, palace spokeswoman Ann-Christine Jernberg said, adding "apologies were insufficient".

If any sums were awarded, the money would be used for charity, Jernberg said.

Prinz has reviewed what the gossip magazines have published during the past five years and found hundreds of articles that were erroneous or made up, the palace said.

Several magazines have published front page corrections and retractions of faulty or incorrect articles, but the fake stories continue to be published.

The false stories often mention Crown Princess Victoria or her younger sister, Madeleine, and often refer to marriage or engagement plans or that they were expecting their first children. 

DPA

Subject: German news 

0 Comments To This Article