Swede held for school massacre copycat threat

13th March 2009, Comments 0 comments

The boy was suspected of posting a picture of himself posing with a weapon on an Internet forum along with a threatening message against his high school.

Stockholm -- A 17-year-old boy was detained in southern Sweden Thursday suspected of threatening a copycat gun attack on his high school in the wake of the student massacre in Germany, police said.

"At around 6:00 am (0500 GMT) this morning we picked up the 17-year-old suspect for questioning," Mikael Persson, a police spokesman in the southern Skaane region, told AFP.

The boy, whose name was not given, was suspected of posting a picture of himself posing with a weapon on an Internet forum along with a threatening message against the Spikan high school in Lund.

"The text referred to what happened in Germany," Persson said.

On Wednesday, 17-year-old Tim Kretschmer picked off nine pupils and three teachers at a high school he once attended in the German town of Winnenden before killing three other people in the town.

"We suspect he is the person in the picture ... It remains unclear if he is the one who wrote the text. That is what we're investigating now," Persson said.

Police had also searched the boy's home and had found an airgun, he added.

The Spikan school had been informed about the threat but had reportedly decided to go ahead with classes as normal on Thursday.

AFP/Expatica

0 Comments To This Article